Friday, November 20, 2009

The Thankful Jar

Posted by Picasa


This year we're trying to explain to the kids what it means to be thankful.

I decided to make a Thankful jar. The kids tell me what they're thankful for. We write it on a piece of paper and stick them in the jar, which is currently decorated by Sage's turkey (or churkey, as she's pronouncing it). Then on Thanksgiving, we'll read them.

I'd love this to be the start of a tradition. Next year Sawyer will be able to write his all on his own.

It will be very interesting to see how the things they're thankful for change over the years - to say nothing of their handwriting. And decorating skills.

As many of you know, I'm the anti-craft. I have absolutely no ability to do any kind of crafty thing whatsoever and this jar is nothing fancy.

But in this case, it's more important what's on the inside.

2 comments:

kirsten said...

Aaaah! You snaked my post out from under me!! Do you have spies out here?? Actually, scratch that because that post was IN MY HEAD. Damn you're good.

Actually, mine was slated for another day, sometime next week. So we're cool. Just don't keep frontin', feel me?

kirsten said...

How's that for being in the spirit of the season? ;) I love the idea, and the idea that a tradition CAN be invented: that this year can BE the first year of a tradition.

Related Posts with Thumbnails