Monday, November 09, 2009

I got nothing

I mean, seriously. Blog every day for a month? That's a lot of, you know, thinking and stuff.

Kinda reminds me of when I used to cover a Major League Baseball team. Every day I'd have to come up with notes to file soon after the game started. Sometimes I had a LOT of space to fill.

I'd drive to the yard, wracking my brain for SOMEthing to write about. Maybe someone broke a fingernail putting on their batting glove and I'd be the only one to find out about it? Seriously, I'd occasionally feel THAT desperate. I'd go back over my notes from the past couple days to see if there was something that I didn't have the chance to get in the paper yet.

So all the way there, I'd mentally run down every player on the team, wondering if there was something about one of them I hadn't written about yet. There was also the manager and five coaches to consider.

Then I'd get to the stadium and set up my computer in the press box before heading down the stairs or the elevator. Mild panic had now set in. I'd walk through the tunnel to the clubhouse, notebook and pen in hand, silenty praying that I'd actually get to use them.

I'd enter the room and look around, seeing which player might be at his locker and available to talk. Hoping an idea would come to me.

And you know what? It always did. Every day. A casual conversation with a player might reveal something interesting about him that I didn't know. Or maybe the shortstop on the opposing team was his best friend.

There were days when I'd luck out and the team would announce news, whether it be an injury, a trade, a player signing a new contract. Or, once in a while, a player would confide something really juicy and I'd get a big scoop in the paper the next day.

Either way, I still had space to fill. And as we say in the biz, "We're a daily, not a weekly." That means do your job today, and come back again tomorrow and do it all over again.

Kind of like this blog.

Hopefully, before this month of daily blogging is done, I'll give you something juicy, too.

3 comments:

kirsten said...

oooh JUICY. Now THERE'S something to keep your readers hooked. :)

Andrew Rosenberg said...

I write two blogs a week, and even that's tough sometimes.
Here are some ideas from my vast store of bloggery (remember I used to work on Blogger):
o Have an "ask me anything day" and then answer the questions.
o "10" Things Blog. Like 10 Things you don't know about me, 10 things I'd do if I had a million $, etc
o Lists in general. Favorite movies, restaurants, blogs, etc
o Book reviews, movie reviews
o How-to's. What special skills can you share?
o Run a contest of some sort.
o Political commentary. Or not, unless you enjoy death threats for the most inane statements.

Hmm, I'm getting an idea for a blog post...on what to blog about....

Kelli/Plangirl said...

Cheryl, I enjoy hearing your "nothing", so don't worry! : ) It's like a conversation with a good friend, sometimes you just don't have to have much to say and it is okay.

Related Posts with Thumbnails