Monday, November 02, 2009

Outward Bound

I really wanted to go. REALLY wanted to go.

But David was sure the baby would be a disaster. Maybe it'd be better if I just stayed home. Again. That sounded like it was probably the smart thing to do. Especially since Daylight Savings. X's schedule was all kinds of messed up.

The trip was short: a train ride to San Diego, a visit to the USS Midway, and the train back home. Our neighbors were going and the kids were SO excited to be going on an outing with their friends.

I didn't want to miss seeing them have a good time. And, frankly, I'm stir-crazy. I can't remember the last time I went anywhere. Especially somewhere, you know, fun.

Still, I have a cold. Maybe it'd be nice to have a couple hours to myself (while X napped). It'd be quiet. Too quiet.

When I woke up this morning (at 5 a.m., thanks to the little face peering at me from over the crib rail), I decided to go. I mean, X is actually a pretty good baby. Positive thinking, right?

The train ride was a thrill, as you can see...



And why not? Check out the view!



The day was absolutely gorgeous. Blue skies, temps in the mid-70s, and because most kids were in school (our district was off) the Midway (a retired air craft carrier) wasn't crowded at all.

David and I switched off holding the baby. I got to go up to the bridge with Sawyer and Sage. If you look carefully, you can make out a man standing next to a stroller on the flight deck.


Posted by Picasa


Here are Sawyer and Sage sitting in the Captain's chair. Now that's a scary thought..



And here is Xander, showing Daddy that he actually IS a great baby and not a hot mess. Really, he only got fussy when he was hungry or tired (so? I do too!), but he did take a few short naps and hung with 'em like a champ.



Then it was time to get back on the train, in which, incidentally, our group got our own car. The kids (there were seven from our hood) treated it as a fort, flying their new toy jets and running all over, until a homeless guy peed in the next car and everyone moved into ours.

At any rate, on the walk back to the train, Sawyer complained that his "foot hurt" and he couldn't possibly take one more step. As a guy commented as we walked by, "Dude, you look like a opossum."



Posted by Picasa


You know, it was a fun, exhausting day. Makes me think maybe I should get out more often.

1 comment:

Janine said...

OH, I am so glad you got out - good for you!! Looked like a beautiful day. Next step is to go out by yourself and no kids!! Baby steps...

Related Posts with Thumbnails