Wednesday, April 14, 2010

X's Allergy Testing - Day 2

Soooo... The allergy patch came off this afternoon. For those of you wondering exactly what the patch looked like, here it is. I found out that the "p" stands for potato. Or pah-tah-to, if you prefer.


And this is what it looked like when the patch was taken off.



See the welt in the upper right? It means he's allergic to eggs. But not in a anaphylactic way (THANKFULLY). If he ate eggs, say, every day for a week, he would have a horrible stomach ache. If he had a bite of something that contained egg? He'd probably be just fine.

The wheat, milk and soy spots showed some irritation (which I figured, considering after I eliminated them from my diet when he was two months he showed marked improvement). The allergist said if they aren't gone by tomorrow, then X might also have issues with those things.

To be honest, they all look irritated to me (which I guess is to be expected?) and I'm having a tough time figuring out what exactly should concern me. Don't they all seem kinda angry looking to you?

The allergist suggested I slowly introduce some baby yogurt (like an 1/8 of a teaspoon the first day, 1/4 the next day, etc) to see if X can tolerate milk. Because I'd like to wean him at some point. In case I hadn't mentioned.

Of course, in the meantime, I have to stay on the same diet - because if I start re-introducing stuff while giving him new stuff, his body will be even more confused than me. If that's possible.

The good news? He was tested for over 60 allergens via the scratch test - and not one showed! Which means - NO PEANUT ALLERGY! HUGE sigh of relief.

If we are only dealing with an egg allergy, then I'll be a little more okay. But if he also can't tolerate milk, soy and wheat? That's an entirely different road I really don't want to travel. I've already done it for a year and I can't imagine it being a permanent lifestyle for X.

So I don't know exactly what to think. I was hoping for more definitive answers. And I really need some.

It's frustrating.

To be continued..

9 comments:

Debbie said...

Sounds like it may turn out to not be so terrible. That is great news.
My 16 year old just developed food allergies this year. We now have to go in for the testing. Wish us luck.

Jill said...

They all do look a bit angry, but the egg one is the absolutely the worst. Hopefully, you can gradually get his system used to things.

You must be starving! I remember going through it with Blake. It make the emotional part of weening much easier though. Good luck.

Cheryl said...

Debbie - I've heard about developing allergies as we get older. I wonder if your child's has to do with hormonal changes? No fun! I developed an anaphylactic reaction to large doses of advil - but it's a delayed reaction, so we thought it was to some mystery food. I wish you TONS of luck!

Jill - Some of them are calming down a bit. You can't even see a couple. And yes, I'm starving. Seriously. And you're right: it will make the emotional part a little easier, especially when I can go out and have nachos and a margarita to celebrate! ;)

AiringMyLaundry said...

Yikes.

That's not fun. As of now I don't have any allergies but my Dad has a couple.

Anonymous said...

oh look at that little back!

Salt said...

Awww he is such a little cutie! I would think that having that patch stuck to your skin could be irritating even without any allergies. I agree that the egg one definitely looks the worst though.

And thank goodness for no nut allergies! I have a good friend with a nut allergy and it is really frustrating for her a lot of the time. :)

I'm so glad you found my blog! I am a new follower!

The Mayor! said...

So....I made you a button too....I say "too" cause apparently I have TOO much time on my hands & have spent it making a bunch of buttons for other bloggers!!! I wanted to do a blog roll, but WP uses widgets for that. Copying & pasting buttons in to my widgets is easy as pie...typing your name/site & linking it, not so much frik! Since I had button making down pat after doing my own, I decided to just make buttons for those of you who didn't have one yet, over reading a dozen tutorials & adding new plug ins or widgets to figure out how to type your site & get it to link there....which it didn't wanna do!! So, it's on my site, it links to yours, what more do you want??!! HAHAHAHAHA just kidding! I tried to be "true" to your site, given the limits of FREE clipart images available LOL. Check it out, & welcome to my blog roll LOL! :-D

Anonymous said...

I have to get alery tested again next week, because they lost my results...So I know your pain!

Dumb Mom said...

This is not so bad. #2's peanut allergy is similar Xs egg allergy. He can eat them in theory b/c the allergy test showed it's not like a fatal type thing. BUT... his reaction was getting steadily worse with each exposure so the MD is fearful about it. We have the Epi pen now & he's to have no nuts for a full 12 months to see how he does. Lemme tell you how he's doing. He's having outbreaks. Periodic outbreaks w/gastro issues and skin issues. At times he is literally ripping his skin offa his body b/c of the itching. We use TONS of hydrocortisone on that kid. Doc recently blood tested him and found nothing. Gee friggin' thanks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails