Saturday, April 17, 2010

No More Mama Drama



You wonder if the third time around it will all still be so amazing.

And you find out it is - all the firsts that had you racing for the camera with your first two kids? Yeah. You run just as fast for #3. The stuff never gets old.

We melted with X's first smile, cheered as he attempted to crawl, went nuts over the first steps.

He reached all his milestones earlier than his siblings. Except for one teensy thing:

X never calls me "Mama."

Dada? No problem. In fact, not only is David "Dada," so is "doggie." X roars like a lion, quacks like a duck, moos like a cow and woofs like a dog on cue. He says "ba" for ball and balloon.  Waves and clearly says "hi." He'll say bird. All done. Up.

But throwing a bone to the one who carried him around for 9+ months? Who gets her exhausted rump out of bed at whatever ungodly hour he starts crying in his crib?

Mama?

Nada.

Not that it bothered me. At ALL. Or that X's father thinks it's hysterical. In fact, I think, in X's little baby mind, I'm just "That woman with the boobs who magically appears whenever I scream my head off."

So really, did he have any reason to call me by name?

Apparently he didn't think so.

Until today.

We had just gotten home from a hike with the kids and went up the street to visit with some neighbors. David was holding X on one side of the street and I was on the other. And as I walked back toward them, David shouted, "He called you Mama!"

I couldn't believe it! Finally! I mean, it's not like I've been whispering "mama" in his ear for the past five months, or speaking about myself in the third person to him constantly, or obsessing over whether he would EVER say it. Not at all. Much. Okay, maybe occasionally I might have mentioned my name to him a time or two.

And he did it again later when he was chasing me across the room. Smiled back at my smile. Then there was one more when I was getting him ready for bed.

Mama.

You have no idea how thrilled I was. How melty I got.

It's the last first time to hear my baby call me Mama.

Two small syllables.

It was totally worth the wait.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

YAY!
Mine never say mama first. I come after the dog. I'm still waiting for my baby to say it. I'm getting excited just reading your post! Congratulations are in order.

Cheryl said...

Yeah, why is it that we are always after the dog? And who decided that WE'D be mama and the men would be dada? Sounds like something a man would do! LOL

Merry said...

I can imagine how great it was to FINALLY hear that little word! Great picture too by the way.

Tisha said...

Ahhh, I remember that agonizing wait with my youngest daughter...but you're so right, the sweet sound of "mama" is well worth it! Enjoy. Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest! :-)

Cheryl said...

Merry - Thanks! We went on a little nature hike today, and that pond has a gazillion baby frogs around it. Who knew frogs could be so cute?

Tisha - Thank you!!!

Everyday Kathy said...

Awesome!! So funny how mama is always after dada... I read somewhere it has something to do with the D sound being easier to say but all I know is it bummed me out for MONTHS!!! Of course now that she is three it would be wonderful if she could ask for daddy a little bit more! LOL Have fun and enjoy! As you know it all goes way too fast!

Kathy over at Everyday Bliss

Everyday Kathy said...

Awesome!! So funny how mama is always after dada... I read somewhere it has something to do with the D sound being easier to say but all I know is it bummed me out for MONTHS!!! Of course now that she is three it would be wonderful if she could ask for daddy a little bit more! LOL Have fun and enjoy! As you know it all goes way too fast!

Kathy over at Everyday Bliss

Anonymous said...

I have goose bumps for you. Best syllables ever!

Catherine B said...

Great story - My third took a long time to call me mama too. In fact all of my kids said dada long before mama! You are so right - the "firsts" never get old even after the first child.

Sarah at The Stroller Ballet said...

Awe! That is so sweet. And I agree, great picture! There is something so sweet about hearing "mama" and knowing your baby wants you. I'm just glad to hear that things never get old...I'm on my first one and worried about that a little!

Cheryl said...

Kathy - Yes, the "d" sound is easier. But he should make the effort for "m'! lol

Mombshell - It's truly wonderful, isn't it?

Catherine - It is amazing how the stuff doesn't get old. Except for changing diapers. And then potty training. ;)

Sarah - Every first your baby does, no matter how many you have, is really thrilling. What's shocking is that they're all different. I mean, you know logically that your second baby will be different, but when you only have one you think that's how all babies are. So THAT is a big surprise when #2 doesn't sleep as well, or does everything earlier, or when he hates to be swaddled or in the swing like the first one.

MiniMe Mom said...

reminds me of my favorite children's book- Let Me Hold Them Longer. It is all about how we celebrate the firsts but never notice when the lasts happen.

Guy, this post makes my insides fool ooey-gooey:-)

Cheryl said...

Jamie - The lasts! I don't even want to think of that! Like, the last time we ever pick up our kids. Sawyer's starting to get heavy!

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

I don't think either mine said mama first, but you're right it never gets old....none of it.

mamaschwab said...

I LOVED this blog! Just saw you on my blogfrog on my website and came over.
I am following you now as I think I can relate a lot to you :-)
Although, I don't get to travel(ever) and my hubby WON'T move us from Minnesota. Which I get but, also, I feel the longing for the mountains.
Anyway, I love BabyX and the 'mama' post. Our 4th did the same thing but opposite. She didn't say dada until a few months ago and she will be 2 at the end of May!
She still doesn't talk much and it drives my hubby crazy sometimes but, she at least says dada now although by far, mama is not just her favorite word but, her favorite person too :-)

Blessings to you!
-Liza

Cheryl said...

Liza - How cute! I am definitely my baby's fave, which makes up for the other two liking The Yes Man aka Daddy better! LOL Thanks for following - you're #80! So excited!

Anonymous said...

it's the best sound :)

i gave you a blog award:
http://www.alabastercow.com/2010/04/product-review-annies-naturals-goddess.html

Julie said...

Must you make me cry nearly every time I stop by? Love that he called you Mama!

Cheryl said...

AC - Yay! Thanks!!!!!

Julie - Aw, thanks! I know you were in tears about my tummy fat, too! ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails