Thursday, February 14, 2008

The no No project

So have you ever collapsed on the couch after putting your kids to bed and wondered if they both think their names are now "NO!"? Because you find yourself saying that word a lot. Maybe too much. Somehow it just flies out of your mouth the second they ask you for something. Or even just look at you.

You could just be grumpy. Or tired of the constant whining. Demanding. So unreasonable, these kids! First they want to be fed. Then they want their butts wiped. What next - they'll want us to, like, play with them too? The nerve!

I started to wonder if it would be possible to go through an entire day without saying "No" to them. Unless their life was in danger or something. There must be a better way to handle their requests or redirect their behavior.

Right?

I'm going to find out. Tomorrow, I'm going to attempt to go the entire day without uttering that two-letter word. Think it's possible? It'll be a challenge.

I will report back on how it goes. Anyone else want to give it a try? And no fair asking anyone else to yell "NO!" for you!

NONONONONONONONONONONO!!!

Sorry. Just had to get that out of my system. Let the kinder, gentler Mommyhood begin.

6 comments:

Pink Dawn said...

Can't wait to hear how this goes...How many ways can you say no without saying no?

Anonymous said...

Cheryl...I am in on the challenge. I just was feeling this morning that I have to do something other than tell my beautiful yet persistent almost 4 year old son NO at every other request. Since I just read this at 10 minutes til 10 and have already blown it for today, I am on for tomorrow.

Cheryl said...

Dawn - I think I'm about to find out! LOL

Hey Kelli! After I read your post I was all "Wait, did I say no already without realizing it?"

Melissa said...

No. No. No. No. No. No way. No. There is no way I can be successful at this challenge. But, I am going to try... it's 9am and I will attempt to not use that awful and ugly (yet incredibly useful) 2 letter word today.

Jen C said...

I'm glad I didn't read this yesterday and didn't get a chance to try it out today b/c I would undoubtedly fail...miserably.

I'm thinking there should be some sort of contingency in this challenge. Like, I avoid issuing all "no's" in a given day IF:

- no one skips a nap
- no one asks me for cookies or candy for breakfast
- no one asks me if they can wear shorts when it is 30 degrees outside
- no one asks me if they can feed the dog their leftovers "because they don't like it"
- etc., etc.

You know...try to make it a little fairer going into it ;)

Cheryl said...

Thanks for your support, people. Let's do it!

JenC - Um, yeah, isn't that EVERY day??

Related Posts with Thumbnails