Monday, September 03, 2007

Two halves do not make a whole, unfortunately...

I have now completed two half marathons this year. Now if I could just combine those two times and call it a marathon, that'd be great. Instead, I actually have to run the whole 26.2 in one shot. Oy.

Today was only slightly cooler than the surface of the sun. When I left my house at 3:45 a.m., it was already 81 degrees. Good times!

The race itself wasn't too bad, despite the heat. David absolutely hates Disneyland (the crowds, the waiting in line, the cost) so we haven't been there yet with the kids. It was fun for me to see it as I ran through it. A bunch of the characters were out along the course, and runners were stopping to get pictures taken with them. People in large costumes freak me out a bit, so I looked away and kept running.

One not-so-bright guy was running dressed as Buzz Lightyear, complete with a white vinyl-ish suit and hood. We expressed our concerned that he would basically drop dead by mile 2. He apparently was wearing nothing (eew?) under the suit so had no choice but to wear it. No report on whether his brains boiled over from the heat.

We also got to run through Angel Stadium. For my friends, this was one of the highlights of the race. I, on the other hand, was trying to calculate just how many hours I've stood in the Angels dugout, baking in the sun while the team took batting practice. Clearly a sign I've spent waaaay too much time there.

I was pretty beat by the 11th mile, but finished okay, a little slower than my last half but still under 2:30. The best part is, because I actually hydrated correctly, I had no cramping and felt fine afterward.

I'm guessing San Francisco in late October will be just a tad cooler. But at least I'll have my nice Tiffany's bling that each finisher gets to keep me warm..

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails