Tuesday, March 02, 2010

The One

My husband chases cars the way other men chase women. That is to say he finds them on Craigslist. Kidding! About finding women on Craigslist. Though I'm sure, judging by the ads on there, some men do troll there.

Not my guy. 

I have never, in our almost 11 years together, seen him check out another woman in front of me. But a Corvette ZR1? A Ferrari Spyder? An Acura NSX? Gives him whiplash when one of those beauties zips by.

So when I cracked up our Toyota Sequoia last month, David began the hunt. He spent hours perusing Craigslist, checking out all the really attractive ones. And sometimes the cheap ones too. He cruised the dealerships, seeing if anything struck his fancy.

This is where I admit the whole thing bores me to tears. I mean, just pick a car and buy already! But no. He has to weigh all the pros and cons, the mileage, the seat arrangement, the year, the make, and was I SURE I didn't want a minivan? Maybe this is why it took him five months after meeting me to actually call me for a date.

He finally told me a couple weeks ago that he'd found The One. He did all the chatting up of the owner. They met. They did a test drive. 

Then David came back to report to me. He TOTALLY did a kiss-and-tell! He was pretty hot on this one. He showed me the pictures on the internet. 

I gave him the go-ahead. That's right. I said it was fine with me if he wanted to commit - without my ever seeing it.

This morning, the deal was consummated right on our kitchen table. 

And this is what is now parked in our driveway.




A big-ass Chevy Suburban LTZ. And I do mean BIG ASS.

I got in the driver's seat and looked in the rear-view mirror. I believe the car ended somewhere in China. David assures me I will be fine parking this monster. The car has a rear-view camera and sensors that beep faster as you're backing in near something.

What I need is for the sensors to shout  STOOOOP!!!!!! 




Or else the above view may not look so idyllic. Maybe my husband can stand behind me with those sticks like the airport workers use on the tarmac. A little to the left, the left, now the right, okay, back a little more...you get the picture.

I'm worried. Because the car sure is purty. The big palm tree on the side adds a nice touch, don't you think?

 



The best thing of course it that it's large enough to accomodate our family of five and all our accessories and is made to keep us safe.

I haven't taken it for a spin yet. I'm still a little nervous. Will we get along? Will I love it as much as I loved my Sequoia?

I guess I just have to trust my husband. After all, he's already shown he has excellent taste - in both cars AND women.


18 comments:

Unknown said...

It is beautiful! He sure does have great tastes in both of those things : ) Did he wait 5 months to get the car like he waited to call you for a date? Funny!

Unknown said...

My husband is the same way. :) Nice vehicle, BTW. :)

Everyday Kathy said...

LOL! I do have to take exception to the Craig's list dating slam... that is how my hubby and I met. We were in one of the tamer sections I might add but I said I wanted to be "Wooed and Wowed forever" and what do you know he signed up!

Doing a little SITS hop tonight... Thanks for an inviting stop on my tour! I'll be back since I'm now a follower too!
Outrageous joy,
Kathy over at Everyday Bliss
http://blisspot.blogspot.com

kirsten said...

Wow. That IS a big ass car. Good luck parking that, sensors be damned!

I did a cross-country trip from Ohio to St Helena CA in an old skool suburban. It was a hoot.

The Blonde Duck said...

Popped in from SITS to say hi! Men and their cars...

Patricia said...

*LOL* what is it with men and cars?
I don't mind test driving but not the rest. ;)

Just stopping by from SITS to say hi.

Have a great day!

Andrew Rosenberg said...

I got nothing.
Well, except to note how OC you're becoming. :)

What the heck is SITS??

Cheryl said...

LWK - He had a much tighter timeframe with the car, as we had three kids in various car seats/boosters in the back of a sedan!

Crystal - Thx!

Kathy - Thanks for stopping by and following! and DOH on the CL thing. I meant those ads for, er, PAID dates, if you know what I'm saying! What a great story to tell your kids, tho!

Kirsten - I'll be by soon..

TBD - No kidding!

Zeemaid - Altho I do like the haggling part at dealerships to be honest. This purchase was done from a private seller so I was more than happy to let the hubs do all the work! ;)

Andrew - Click the button over at the right of my blog and go see.

Cynthia said...

Come on to Texas - you would fit right in with your big Suburban...they are everywhere here!!!

Cheryl said...

Cynthia - Oh NO! Would I have to get big hair too? ;)

Jen C said...

I have such a small car. A teeeny tiiiiny Honda civic. I can not even begin to imagine driving that beast.

JenC said...

OKay, that is really big. Good luck

MrsBlogAlot said...

Great car!

pfft!...Like I would know. But I do like new and shiny!

My husband is the same car way! (-:

Cougar Tales said...

Stopping over from SITS. The car looks great but the sunny weather and the palm trees in the back had me!
- Cougs @ www.cougar-tales.blogspot.com

Anti-Supermom said...

Glad the affair at least ended with you getting a new car :)

exactly the way it should be!

Now, my question to you is: can it hold five car seats? (Because I'm crazy and that's what I need)

Cheryl said...

Mrsblogalot - I also like shiny things. I am part goat.

Cougar - Yeah, sorry about that. Can't get away from those big ole sago palms - which are apparently toxic to animals according to a story in today's paper.

Anti-Supermom - the answer is.. YES! Yes, you can put five car seats in there. But probably not three huge ones in the back.

Aidan Donnelley Rowley @ Ivy League Insecurities said...

Excellent taste indeed :)

Julie said...

OMG its huge! You'll have to update with how the drive is. So, he really found it on Craigslist?

Related Posts with Thumbnails