Monday, March 01, 2010

Give that blog a limbo whirl

I'm really good at limbo. I mean, if there was a tour, I could totally go on it. And make scads of money.

Seriously. I'm that good. You might not think it just by looking at me. For one thing, I'm tall. And no one's ever accused me of being graceful. Still. I'm awesome at it.

Cue music!

One time I was at this wedding and there was a limbo contest. I was stoked, especially when I was one of two people left in the contest. Nothing like a little competition to fire me up. So there I was, seeing how LOW I could GO. And my then-boyfriend is on the other side, waving frantically at me. I'm thinking, "Look at him! He's so happy for me! I'm amazing!" I go under the stick, run to him for my congratulatory hug, only to have him inform me that now EVERYONE at the wedding knows what color underwear I have on (at least I wasn't going all Britney Spears and I was actually wearing a pair).

I think on the tour I'd wear pants instead of a short dress. Or I could wear shorts. Maybe spandex. A spandex catsuit!

Does anyone even do the limbo anymore? Weddings? Bar mitzvahs? Bueller?

Which leads me to this: my freakish talent is really no help to me now. It's out-of-date. People have moved on.

I feel the same way lately as I'm checking out a lot of blogs. One thing is painfully clear: mine sucks. Not the content! Writing is the one thing - aside from limbo -  that I CAN do.

I'm talking purely appearances here. I don't have a logo yet. Or anything fancy at all. I figured out how to put two buttons on the side (for the SITS girls and for Classic Play) but I have no idea how to get any more on there (and I want more!). I had to have help linking my email the other day.

I don't have to work for Microsoft or anything. I just need to be able to do basic stuff. Thing is, it's beyond me. I don't know how to improve it without hiring someone - with all the money I'm NOT making from this blog. Create a custom template? Use HTML? Foreign language. I don't speak in code, people.

I am in awe of you who do - which seems like pretty much everyone, even those using Blogspot just like me. What am I missing here? The technology part of my brain?

So in the meantime, while I'm trying to muddle through, don't judge my blog by its cover. It may not have all the bells and whistles. But it's what's inside that counts.

Oh! About the limbo? I'll leave you with the Hass.

11 comments:

Twincerely,Olga said...

very funny post!!!! I love your humor! stopping by from SITS!!I am your newest follower!!

Julie said...

How completely crazy is it that you are DIRECTLY ABOVE me on the SITS comments tonight? Its my first time on SITS, too. CRAZY, right?

So, first of all, we're now going to have to host a limbo contest at Blogher. No, really. In my room. 2 am on Thursday (OMG, W will kill me for that! She's so going to want to sleep then, right?)

Next, I don't know that much about Blogger, but can play with it. That's the easiest way to learn it, just play. Also ask, ask, ask. Ask questions on twitter and in the SVMoms. Someone will know!

Okay. I SO have to go to bed right now. 'night!

heather@actingbalanced.com said...

great post - I used to limbo but you're right I think its a dying art... stopping by from SITS

Jen C said...

HA HA HA! The Hass. Fantastic!

Katinka said...

Stopping by from SITS and wishing you a great day :)

The Blonde Duck said...

That's so funny! I was never good at limbo...

Anti-Supermom said...

Tall *and* good at the limbo - so not fair!

I love that your date at least attempted to stop you from flashing your undies, my husband would have just let me go ;)

kirsten said...

AWESOME. I don't think limbo skillz are ever going to do you wrong. Unless by wrong you mean showing the entire wedding your undies.

I'm right there with you friend. Let me know when you're given the Key to the Inner Sanctum of Knowledge. I'll cheat off your notes.

The Only Girl said...

Maybe you need to start a petition to get the Limbo back in fashion. Where do I sign?!

And I think that when it comes to blogs, simpler is better. Don't distract from your writing with "stuff". It's distracting.

Patricia said...

you simple is good too. I spiced my blog up only to find it became too cluttered and have had to change the background numerous times because of overpowering images etc.

I wish I had more talent with it.. but there it is.

One site that I found really helped me because I did't know anything about html etc... is here

http://tips-for-new-bloggers.blogspot.com/

walks you through changes step by step.

Cheryl said...

Olga - Thanks!!!

Julie - Too funny! Great minds think alike!

ABM - Thanks! Now if you were at an event and you heard that music, you KNOW you'd be in!!

JenC - The video totally killed me!

Katinka - Thx for visiting!

TBD - I'm sure you're good at a lot of USEFUL things, tho..

ASM - Yeah, my hubs probably would've let me go, too!

Kirsten - I feel I'm going to figure this out soon. Then I will share.

TOG - Yes! A petition! LOL And thnx for blog advice!

Zeemaid - Thx! I will definitely check that site out!

Related Posts with Thumbnails