Thursday, November 08, 2007

Free things aren't necessarily the best things in life

Sawyer has been going to swimming lessons twice a week since this summer. He loves the water and has no fear of it, so we wanted him to be safe. We take him to a small indoor pool that has a pirate theme.

We figured it would be less intimidating than the place he went the summer before last. It was an Olympic-sized pool with a big tent over it. He did okay the first lesson, but at the second, the other child decided he didn't want to share the teacher and he went ape shit. He was so hysterical that he set Sawyer off.

The next time we tried going to a lesson, Sawyer cried so hard in the car in the parking lot he almost threw up. He then refused to get in the pool. So we decided to wait another year.

It's made a huge difference. He was doing really, really well and advancing pretty quickly. Until last month. Suddenly he started telling the teacher that he was scared. He didn't want to roll over from his back to his front. It got to the point that we decided to go once a week for the month of November, and then take a few months off.

I was actually looking forward to no more trips to the pool.

His lesson is on Thursday, so we went today. His regular teacher is away for a few weeks. His new instructor is the director of several programs and is supposed to be fantastic. I asked a guy standing at the front, who I through was another director, what the new instructor's name was.

We got into a conversation about how Sawyer is regressing, how he just fools around now and that we went to once a week because it was, frankly, a waste of money.

The guys says, "Oh, no, if they regress, you have to go twice a week. I'm the owner. I'll give you a free second day for this month and see how he does."

Then he looks at Sage, who is standing next to me. He asks when she's getting in the pool. I told him I'm waiting til the summer, when she's close to 3.

"Oh, no, the sooner you start the better. If you can get her to learn to hold her breath, and Sawyer to be safe in the pool, then you can just take the summer off from lessons."

He proceeded to give me free twice-weekly lessons for Sage for the rest of the month.

So I go from one lesson a week to four in the span of about 10 minutes.

Why is it so tough to turn down free stuff?

I think Sage is going to HATE being in the pool (thankfully it is NOT a mommy-and-me type deal where I would actually have to get into a suit and into the water with her). Plus it's a bit of a PITA to do the whole swim diaper thing.

Sawyer has been saying that he wants to stop swimming lessons and try something else. He has no clue he's back to twice a week, poor guy.

I could have turned it down. But that would've been, like, un-American or something. Four lessons for the price of one is a fabulous deal. If I found a bargain like that at, say, Nordstrom's shoe department, you can bet your Prada pumps I'd be all over it!

I figure it's only for a few weeks. Then I can gracefully slither off into the land of "December is SUCH a busy month!"

Unless, of course, there's more free lessons!

3 comments:

taoruns said...

This probably won't make you feel any better, but after spending a small fortune on baby swim lessons, I'm a firm believer that kids don't really learn to swim until they are at least 4, maybe 5 or even 6 years old. Of course, being pool safe is crucial here in So. Cal, but if the kid hates it, I think you should feel free (get it?!) to skip lessons for a few months. Everyone knows swimming is better in the spring.

Mely said...

I would done the same...FREE!!! why not. You can blame the Holidays and start all again during Spring time when the weather gets better. For now enjoy your free lessons ;o)

Cheryl said...

Torrey - Sawyer actually LOVES playing in the pool. One of the instructors literally throws him five feet in the air and Sawyer can't get enough! He just doesn't like the whole "learning" thing! Basically, I want him to be able to jump into the deep end, roll over on his back, then roll back over and swim to the side, and then get out of the pool. He CAN do it, but he's being stubborn. No idea where he gets that from! I would not do this with Sage if it wasn't - say it with me now - FREE!

Mely - Yes! Free! LOL

Related Posts with Thumbnails