Friday, June 12, 2009

Graduation Day

He almost missed graduation.

That might not seem like such a big deal. It's just preschool, right? But when Sawyer got really sick this week, I started to stress. I wanted him to have the experience of marching to the park with his class, singing the songs he'd been practicing, and having his family there cheering him on.

He woke up this morning and I didn't think he was going to make it. He's got this thing where whenever he gets a cold or virus, it goes right to his lungs. This time was especially bad. The inhaled steroids weren't working, so he had to take an oral one. They don't call it 'roid rage for nothing, people! The kid became the King of Nutsville. It was awful, especially the yelling of "Mommy, I'm going to poop on your head!" followed by hysterical laughter.

Luckily (for all of us) he started to get better and the doctor he saw Thursday said he could probably come off the steroids. I thought we were totally in for today. But he had a nasty cough this morning and seemed kind of out of it.

I told him he might have to stay home. He cried. Not because he was going to miss the activities, but because he was going to miss the rice crispy treats his grandmother was bringing.

I ran down to his school (it's basically across the street) and talked to his teacher. She said they weren't going to get to the park until about 10:45 a.m. I figured he'd feel better by then but I knew he'd have a tough time marching from the school to the park. So we decided he could meet his class half-way. She gave me the graduation cap he'd made out of a paper bowl, cardboard and sequins, and I came back home to give him the news.

He was happy and anxious and already had his sneakers on.

So when it was time, David dropped us off so he could park closer to where the graduation was to take place. Sawyer and I waited. Soon we heard a tinny rendition of Pomp and Circumstance and saw yellow and blue balloons.

There was his class, with his teacher holding the boom box. When the kids saw him, they all said "THERE'S SAWYER!" It was awesome to hear them excited to see him. He got in line right behind his good friend, who was first.



I sprinted across a baseball field to tell David they were coming so he could get the video camera. The group marched toward us on the path, and just before they got to the place where they were going to sing, Sawyer broke out of the line and came over to hug me.

(We got this on video, but no one will ever see it because I, still in my maternity pants, was showing more crack then a busload of plumbers. Or hos.)

Next, they lined up under an archway. Their teacher read them a little poem and she thanked us for letting her teach our children.

It was time for the perfomance. The kids sang eight short songs about going to kindergarten. It was beyond cute. I could totally hear Sawyer's voice. I kept trying to really savor the moment. They are so little and so incredibly adorable and I know it'll seem like two minutes later we'll be at his high school graduation.

 
Posted by Picasa


The teacher then handed out diplomas. And announced the graduating class of Kindergarten Connection, 2009!



It was the only time I got truly teary-eyed. I mean, when he started in the fall, Sawyer couldn't even hold a crayon correctly. Now he's writing his name and a few other words from memory (he's quite good at 'Mom' and 'Dad'). Still not reading, though I know he will this time next year.

Last year, he never really made a good friend. That changed this year. He's got a bunch of them, boys and girls. He's already talking about all the playdates he wants this summer and he's very excited to go to kindergarten in the fall.

I think he'll do just fine. And so will I. Because I've got another one to watch out for...

 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Simply Lovely Gifts said...

Love this. Hooray for Sawyer!!

kimmiewong said...

Holy cow, read your water birth story. Wow. Nuts. Your kids are super cute! kimmie in SF

kimmiewong said...

holy cow, I read your water birth story. Nuts. Congrats! Your kids are super cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails