Sunday, May 20, 2007

My new adventure

I finally did it. I signed up for my first marathon (CUCKOO, CUCKOO!). I'd wanted to run one before I turned 40, and I found an opportunity I couldn't refuse. I mean, I COULD have, but it just felt right.

I signed up for Team In Training (whose acronym is TNT, not TIT, just FYI)and will train with them to run the Nike Women's Marathon on Oct. 21st in San Francisco. The big draw for me was TNT is part of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Last year, TNT raised over $100 million for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.

My best friend was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma when I was pregnant with Sage. She went through chemo and radiation and is now cancer-free. My cousin, though, has been battling leukemia for a few years.

What really got me was each team (I'm on the marathon running team for my county) has an honored teammate. Ours is a little boy not much youger than Sawyer. He'd had chemo the day before the kickoff event this Saturday. I couldn't help but think about my own thankfully healthy kids. Talk about a motivator!

I have to raise $3,000 to compete in the race. If you'd like to contribute to support me and TNT, please follow the link: Racing to Save Lives. Seventy-five cents for every dollar donated goes directly toward the cause. And it's all tax-deductible.

Thanks!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails