Sunday, October 12, 2008

Electra is Alive and Well



In our house, anyway.

I'm sure you're all familiar with the Electra complex. It's that lovely time when your baby, who was a total Mommy's girl, suddenly discovers Daddy. And then Mommy becomes Public Enemy #1.

Now it's all Daddy, all the time.

The other morning, I got her her milk. Then when David came downstairs, she said "Daddy? I want YOU to get me milk. Could you dump this out and get me milk?"

It's Daddy she calls for to get her out of her crib. When David was away for a few days, she said she didn't want me to get her out - she'd just wait for him to come back.

She only wants to cuddle with him. If she gets up, and David and I try to snuggle, she will scream and cry and push me out of the way. Then, when she is back in position, she will smirk at me.

It is Daddy who she tells me she's speaking to; Daddy who must pick her up when she cries; Daddy who seems to always say "yes" after Mommy has said "no."

I should be thankful that she allows only me to do her hair.

Now, when Daddy's not around, she will permit me to acknowledge her. I am asked to watch her dance or help her with a puzzle. We do have our one-on-one times when I actually enjoy being reminded of what an independent, spunky little girl she is.

I know I shouldn't take any of this personally. I want her to have a close relationship with her dad, who is an all-around good guy and great father. I try not to feel hurt when she wrinkles her nose at me like I just let out a big stinky fart.

According to Freud (and Jung) she will come back around to Mommy.

I know I'll be waiting with open arms.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It happens to the best of us! HAHAHA!! Jack has definitely gone through this too. Thank God they seem to be short lived and you can bet I can't wait for my turn to come back around. Just hang in there.

Wendy said...

For a second I thought you were naming baby #3 "Electra". Ha.

Melissa said...

First of all, that pick of Sage in this post is A D O R A B L E!!

Greg went through this when I was working before. I am fully expecting both kids to start up their Daddy complexes as soon as I head back to work in a few weeks.

Hang in there. I'm sure she'll be a mommy's girl again before you know it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails