Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Mommy Knows Best

You never want anything to be wrong with your kid. There is something to be said for validation, however.

I've thought for the past few months that Sage is having speech issues (pause here for snarky comments about how she probably hasn't been able to get a word in edgewise at this house). I asked her pediatrician at her 18-month checkup, and he said that we'd investigate further at age 2 if she still was having issues.

Not good enough for the inner (?) neurotic in me. I had a nice conversation with my OB/GYN at my yearly about Sage. Turns out her two sons are both speech-delayed, and she encouraged me to have her evaluated.

So I did. She had an hour-and-a-half evaluation today. She is at age or advanced in motor skills and comprehension, but is definitely delayed in expressive speech. Just like I thought.

The big areas of concern were Sage's lack of parroting what we ask her to say, and also that she uses no verbs. She also incessantly says "Mommy" before pretty much any other word. The therapist guessed that it's because I'm the only one who has any clue what she's saying. One positive is that Sage is making all the sounds necessary for her to make words. She just hasn't put it all together yet.

The therapist said she'd recommend for Sage to go to private therapy twice a week. Then, when she turns 2, she would be eligible to go to their small group classes. Hopefully that won't be necessary.

We never realized how verbally advanced Sawyer was until we see how little Sage says. Then again, she is way ahead physically compared to him at the same age.

Not that I compare my children, of course. At least, not to their faces.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails