Thursday, April 10, 2008

I'm in love

I took Sage to the mall the other day to get her a pair of sandals, preferably Keens. The weather here has been unseasonably cool. But this weekend it could hit 90. I don't want the poor girl's feet to sweat. So off we went to Nordy's.

I wanted to get her feet measured. And her paddles turned out to be a size 9. Which is ginormous for a 2 1/2 year old. To put it in perspective, her brother wears a 10 1/2 at age 4.

Soon she will be borrowing my shoes. Until she outgrows them. And I wear a 10.

The problem with the Keens was the 8's fit exactly and the 9's were way too big. They are pricey enough where I didn't want to get the 8's only to have to buy another pair in late summer. The shoes are SO great because 1) they're waterproof 2) they're incredibly durable and 3) they're closed-toed, so they are acceptable to wear at preschool (they're not allowed to wear Crocs at school).

I then found a cute pair of Geox sandals, but where they fit her in length, they were way too wide for her. Sage was starting to take every sparkly, sequined shoe off the rack and was completely done trying on stuff.

So off we went to Heaven, aka the womens' shoe department.

Aaaaaaah.

While Sage amused herself by crouching down and looking in those small mirrors, I browsed.

And that's when I saw them.




A very nice salesperson came over and talked to me about my discovery: Naot. They are Israeli shoes, basically a poor man's Mefisto. But not really THAT poor. These puppies were $125.

I tried on the patent leather loveliness. My feet were cushioned, supported, transported to a new echelon of comfort. Oh yes.

Clearly, we were meant to be solemates.

But wait. Perhaps I should just TRY the Mephistos. You know, just to SEE.



They were cute and definitely comfortable. But at $100 more, I just couldn't do it.

Now, I realize these shoes aren't exactly sexy. They are cute, though, and most important, functional - and I don't mean in a white nursing shoe sort of way.

I got the results of my MRI yesterday. The good news is there's no fracture or tear and I can continue training as long as I can tolerate the discomfort in my foot. The not-so-good news is I have a bunch of scar tissue and some fibroid-type things and lots and lots of swelling under my first three toes.

Considering the amount of time I spend on my feet during an average day - aside from running and spin class, I'm watching the kids at the park, keeping an eye on both kids at swimming lessons, supervising them playing in the cul-de-sac, walking around Target, etc. - I really need a shoe that supports my foot.

These Naots? More comfy then my fuzzy Uggs.

There was, of course, a fair amount of Mommy Guilt. I mean, $125 dollars could get a lot of stuff for the kids: a bike for Sage, art classes for her, a month and a half of swimming lessons Sawyer, and the list goes on.

I never spend a lot of money on shoes, no matter what my husband will tell you. HE bought me my most expensive pair, which are my Uggs, and that was a few years ago.

I can't even remember the last time I bought sandals (although it might have been before I was pg with Sawyer, which would be more than five years ago). So I do get my money's worth out of them.

I look at it this way. At least while I'm standing there, watching Sawyer and Sage bicker over a shovel at the park, I can do it with a smile on my face.

Cause there is NOTHING better than a great new pair of shoes!

1 comment:

Mely said...

Cheryl, I totally dig the second pair of sandals...so pretty! and they look so COMFORTABLE :O)....so don't feel bad and enjoy your new sandals!

Related Posts with Thumbnails