Wednesday, November 05, 2008

The Post-Election Buzzkill

There is nothing like knowing you can look your kids in the eye and tell them, unequivocally, they can be whatever they want. Because after watching last night's thrilling victory and speech by President-elect Barack Obama, there was no doubt yes, they can.

And that's still true this morning. That is, except in California, if they want to marry someone of the same gender.

Talk about a buzzkill.

I know there are bigger problems facing the country than the passage of Prop 8, which bans gay marriage. But the fact that I live in a county where more than half the people voted for intolerance is, quite frankly, sickening.

What I found stunning was, according to exit polls for The Associated Press, African American voters who came out in huge numbers to vote for Obama also voted in favor of Prop 8. So a race that was denied equal rights for so long voted to deny them to others. I don't get it.

So while I am full of hope for what our country can become in the next four years - a place of hope, action and renewed pride - it seems right here at home fear still has a stronghold.

I can only hope that by the time my children are old enough to decide whether - and to whom - they want to marry, Prop 8 will be as archaic as, say, laws banning African Americans from marrying whites.

Perhaps Obama's platform of unity for all will help turn the tide.

Yes, we can.

Right?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Cheryl - Although I am in Minnesota, you typed the words I spoke to my husband almost word for word when I saw the Prop 8 passed in CA. I too voted for Obama and was thrilled for the US last night, but today when I saw the news that minorities voted to suppress other minorities, it was definite buzzkill ... I too hope by the time our kids are adults and these things have changed.

Mely said...

I was surprise too...I can't understand why people didn't support "No on 8"...hopefully soon those people will understand that times had change and we need to be more tolerant of everyone because after all God said love everyone as yourself!

Related Posts with Thumbnails