Sunday, June 08, 2008

Abstinence in My Pants

You just never know who's going to be next to deliver lessons on morality.

Consider a new item at K Mart, home of the blue light special. There are lessons to be learned there, people. Lessons to be learned.

And yes, I just said K Mart.

They now sell sweat pants for juniors with the message: "True Love Waits".

Um...waits for what? Johnny Jock to stop staring at the words printed right across the ass in bright letters?

That's right. It's on the back - and the front. No fun either way.

Nothing says chastity like a trite meaningless missive. Or a pair of sweats from K Mart, for that matter. Not that I'm advocating ho-dom, but I doubt having that little reminder on Madison's or Emma's pants is going to help much when they're dropping them for Joe Gotrocks after the homecoming dance.

Surprisingly, the young mens department isn't selling them. I can just imagine what THEIR version would say (perhaps something along the lines of "I've got your True Love right here?").

K Mart actually denies the message was intended to support abstinence. This, despite saying right in the description that the pants have a "bold abstinence screen print."

Hey, it could be worse. It could be WalMart selling them.

13 comments:

Momfluential said...

I truly love this post!

charmcitymama said...

I saw this earlier on drool.icio.us Hmmm kind of defeats the purpose of modest clothing?!

Melissa said...

First of all, this is HILARIOUS!!! Second, I have to wonder if this is just another way parents can forgo actually talking to their kids about sex (or any of the other important topics so many parents seem to want to avoid these days). You know, "I don't want to talk about this subject or condoms or STD's, but I can make myself heard with these FABULOUS sweats!" Hmmm...

Melissa said...

BTW, I'm having a little Bunco party later. Maybe you want to come up for it??!! LOL :-)

Unknown said...

So funny! And so true! The decision to wait isnt going to be reinforced by "Juicy" style letters on a teen's ass. That's fo' damn sure.

Cheryl said...

Thanks! And Melissa - you may have a point there!

Amy said...

OMG ... I am so looking forward to the teenage years ... do you think I would embarass my girls if I wear a pair??!!??

Mely said...

Amy, I do think so!!!

Cheryl, how funny was that, but wait a minute...what are you doing in K-Mart???...Because as far as I remember you live in Target!

Anonymous said...

I'll take 27 pairs in various sizes. Let me stock up now for my girls' teenage years.

Simply Lovely Gifts said...

Love it!!! Stock up now for future chastity lessons!! ;-)

Just J said...

I am really hoping this fad of putting words on the ass is dead long before my dd is a teen. I am sure it can't last much longer?

taoruns said...

PLEASE tell me that you weren't personally shopping at K-Mart. You like, read about this in the paper, right? Because you are never allowed to laugh at me for my dark history of scrapbooking if it turns out that you just outed yourself as a K-mart shopper! (But if you DO, in fact, shop there, I would like you to pick up a pair of those sweats in my size [are they only kid sizes?] because I can't imagine anything more hilarious than wearing them as an ironic fashion statement.)

Cheryl said...

Okay, I feel like I should have included a disclaimer. NO, I do not shop at KMart. In fact, I don't even know where one is. I did indeed see them online (and no, I was not browsing through KMart's junior department. I saw them referred to and had to investigate).
TARGET FOREVER!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails